Monday, October 14, 2013

A Thousand Years, by Christina Perri

Let's just forget that this song was written for Twilight for a minute and think about the lyrics. It's kind of like Song of Songs you need to listen carefully to pick out who is saying what, but can you hear Christ singing this? I have left the song lyrics in italices and my comments are in blue.

"A Thousand Years"(from "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1" soundtrack)
This first verse is us singing: We aren't sure of ourselves afraid of the uncertainty the future holds. Maybe we've messed up, maybe we've been hurt and we're afraid to trust, afraid to let go. When we're brought to see Christ, to know Him, we know we're safe, in Him we can fall and place all of our worries, doubts, joys, excitements and fears. We do not fear because He is with us!

Psalm 23:4 and Psalm 27:1
Heart beats fast
Colors and promises
How to be brave?
How can I love when I'm afraid to fall?

But watching you stand alone,
All of my doubt suddenly goes away somehow.

One step closer


This next part I imagine Christ sings to us.  He died once to save us all for eternity and with each celebration of the Eucharist He completely pours out Himself, body, blood, soul and divinity, for us to receive! And this happens daily in Mass.


Malachi 1:11

God has loved us for all eternity and will continue to love us for all eternity. 

Jeremiah 1:5 and Psalm 89:33

I have died everyday waiting for you
Darling, don't be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more

This next verse echos the image of the bride in Song of Songs, and as well the "Bride of Christ" image from the book of Revelation.
 Revelation 19:7-9


Time stands still
Beauty in all she is

And the last lines of the verse bring to mind Christ's passion and death to save us. Out of love He willingly took on this suffering not wanting sin to keep us seperated from Him.
Matthew 26:36-46 and John 12:23-28


I will be brave
I will not let anything take away
What's standing in front of me
Every breath
Every hour has come to this

One step closer

[Chorus:]
I have died everyday waiting for you
Darling, don't be afraid I have loved you
Did you know that God says "fear not" 365 times in the Bible! one for every day of the year!
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more

And all along I believed I would find you
Time has brought your heart to me
I have loved you for a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more


"A Thousand Years" By Christina Perri




No comments:

Post a Comment